It used to be that people would make their own clothing, blankets, jewelry, any items we needed to survive. There were gardens and looms, wood for furniture and to burn in the stove. Now, the majority of our things are purchased in stores, from Target, Walmart,furniture stores, and grocery stores. The art of handmade has gone to mass production. As is the way society has grown and changed through the years.
However, you can find many sites on-line and boutiques in towns where you may purchase items that are not only unique but also handmade. One such place on-line is Etsy, "Your place to buy and sell all things handmade". This is an amazing site, one where you will find many treasures, from jewelry to bags, toys to clothes, ties, and afghans.
Handmade is always special. Whether as a gift or a perfect addition to your own home, handmade items add something unique. Often times people who are used to mass production are weary to spend a little more on a handmade item. Forgetting that things that are handmade are full of time and love that someone has put into each piece. Mass productions are cheaper to purchase, YES, but missing that special touch.
Designs By Sheila, found on Etsy, is one shop that you will find unique jewelry for everyone. I purchased a beautiful guitar pic peace sign earrings and necklace set for my niece this past Christmas. The gift itself was a huge hit, as well as being a unique piece of jewelry. I absolutely love the design and style brought through this store. Most recently I fell in love with these brown guitar music note earrings, a new favorite item of mine.
DVRdown, another wonderful etsy shop, has many amazing jewelry pieces. I personally love her Hello Kitty jewelry. This Artis has cellphone charms, magnets, and more. A wonderful site to visit.
One of my most favorite shops is Grandpa's Woodshop. Handmade wooden puzzles and games for children. This site is definitely worth checking into. There are wooden puzzles of ducks, navy airplanes, firetrucks, bunnies, and whales. The craftsmanship is wonderful and the shop itself was recently featured in Cookie Magazine.
Of course I have MANY favorite shops. I will put in a little plug for my own shop PVIcreations. I started my shop as many other etsians have done, simply as a side thing, to showcase and sell my crocheted items. Its a pastime that I truly enjoy and making things for my family and friends as well as for others is a joy in and of itself.
Here is a small sample of my other favorites:
Chickabiddybaby-this is a beautiful site, run by one of my nearest and dearest friends, shoot, she's family! If you are looking for a cute, vintage inspired gift, this is most definitely the place for you!
Woolen Teddies-a great store for some cute teddy bears, very cute! Children love teddy bears!
Opal Essence, SweetHeartSinner Creations,PinkPoochDesigns, and so many many more!
Esty truly is a handmade experience. We are all searching for those unique and special gifts or items for our homes. Visit Etsy, make every occasion something special!
No comments:
Post a Comment